[linux-elitists] (maybe OT) win refunds and installable CDs?

Bulent Murtezaoglu bm@acm.org
Sun Aug 25 23:38:27 PDT 2002

[...]
    AB> I know this doesn't help you, but if you're going to buy a
    AB> laptop, why not buy a Mac?

I did think about it.  There were no 1600x1200 screens on Mac
notebooks, not even 1280x1024.  This by itself would disqualify them
for a desktop replacement for me -- I am used to having one 80column
and one 100 column emacs windows side by side and tall.  I haven't
worked with anything that displayed fewer pixels than 1280x1024 in
about 10 years, 1600x1200 in about 6.  I am a bit uneasy about
anything lower and don't have time to borrow stuff to see how I feel
even though on a 15" and with proper fonts it probably could have been
made to work.  Of course, the IBM also replaces my cycle server (it is
faster than my present one).  I need an x86 somewhere on the network
because eventually that's what most of my stuff gets delivered on.  I
do agree though that had a PowerBook been viable it would have been
very desirable (it is quiet, lighter, and maybe $500 or so more
expensive when you add batteries and ram to the IBM).

I'd love to live in an alternate reality where PPC is dominant and
POWERX is used for hefty but inexpensive servers.  But instead we are
dealt this one, where x86 notebooks buzz away battery juice with their
fans and people who need more than 4Gig/process don't even have the
option to think Alpha any more.

Did I say OT?

cheers,

BM