[linux-elitists] (maybe OT) win refunds and installable CDs?

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Sun Aug 25 22:54:27 PDT 2002

At 1:08 AM -0400 8/26/02, Andy Bastien wrote:

> I know this doesn't help you, but if you're going to buy a laptop, why
> not buy a Mac?  You can still install linux on it if you like, and if
> you're going to get stuck with paying for a proprietary operating
> system you can get one that doesn't suck.

The core of MacOS X is *not* proprietary. Darwin is freely available.

Apple actually hires people who work on free software. So there's
compelling reasons other than those you state for supporting Apple (not to
mention they were one of the early computer companies to support Linux,
even before Netscape did).

> Not only that, but it will represent lost income for the PC
> manufacturers that refuse to sell systems without Windows, and a double
> loss for Microsoft since a Mac purchase supports their competition in
> addition to being a lost sale for them.

Not to mention looking spiffier at Usenix.

--
_Deirdre Viable Paradise 2002: http://vp.deirdre.org  http://deirdre.net
"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done."   - Steven Wright