[linux-elitists] (maybe OT) win refunds and installable CDs?

Andy Bastien lists+linux-elitists@yuggoth.net
Sun Aug 25 22:08:53 PDT 2002

We have reason to believe that on Sun Aug 25 Bulent Murtezaoglu wrote:
> Well, I just shelled out $1.6k for an IBM A30p notebook for my
> impending departure from the US.  It comes with Win XP pro.  Google
> doesn't seem to know about any recent activity in getting refunds for
> Windows.  I also discovered that the pre-installed Windows deal
> doesn't include CD's and when manufacturers send "restore" CD's you are
> unlikely to be able to run them under VMware.  So things got WORSE
> after all the Windows refund effort?
>
> I'll call IBM when I get the machine and report.  Any input welcome in
> the meanwhile.

I know this doesn't help you, but if you're going to buy a laptop, why
not buy a Mac?  You can still install linux on it if you like, and if
you're going to get stuck with paying for a proprietary operating
system you can get one that doesn't suck.  Not only that, but it will
represent lost income for the PC manufacturers that refuse to sell
systems without Windows, and a double loss for Microsoft since a Mac
purchase supports their competition in addition to being a lost sale
for them.