[linux-elitists] Re: DjVuLibre doesn't eat own dog food

Barak Pearlmutter bap@cs.unm.edu
Sun Aug 25 17:08:40 PDT 2002

http://snot.cs.unm.edu/~bap/debian-cvs-build-packages/dvjulibre/
Uploaded some time ago, still waiting for ftpmaster@debian.org.

> From: Adam Sampson <azz@gnu.org>

> I'm not touching DjVu with a bargepole.  Let's look for an _open_
> standard, OK?

Well, RMS also thinks it's okay now:
http://www.gnu.org/directory/Web_Authoring/djvu.html

The screed in the license file does not reflect the views of the
developers or maintainers of djvulibre, but rather of a corporation.
Said corporation (a) did not originally develop djvu, but rather
purchased it; (b) does not employ the developers and maintainers of
djvulibre, who are in fact most of the original developers of djvu;
and (c) kindly released some code under the GPL for inclusion in
djvulibre.

I don't see any issue here.  Released is released.  They can soap box
if they want, but the code is now free, and the format is open.  We
can write free encoders viewers etc to our heart's content, can extend
the format, all the same as with some hypothetical alternative
format.  I don't see how it could be more open...