[linux-elitists] LOC Records for Brotherhood

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Sat Aug 24 00:40:38 PDT 2002

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Don Marti wrote:

> begin Seth David Schoen quotation of Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 05:48:31PM -0700:
>
> > At the EFF, we've been hearing that various national
> > government are very interested in automated means of determining where
> > some Internet user is physically located.  (This is usually called
> > "geolocation".)  It might be better for Internet freedom if people
> > didn't contribute to identifying machines' physical locations this
> > way.
>
> There are many reasons for a user not to want to reveal his or
> her location.

Geographic location data will be eventually incorporated into the routing
matrix for the simple reason that given a certain critical density of
nodes geographic routing has compelling advantages (automatic address
allocation with no collision by means of mutual time of flight
triangulation and intrinsic resistance to spoofing, with proper header bit
layout wire-speed cut-through switching at >GBps rates using vacuum/fiber
as FIFO, local-knowledge routing, highly localized admin traffic, scalable
to astronomic distances, etc) over the current suite of protocols.

If you don't want to reveal your information, use traffic remixing. You
certainly can't rely on your IP being anonymous. EU is pushing for a one
year deep window for traffic (browsing and email) storage for every user.