[linux-elitists] LOC Records for Brotherhood

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Fri Aug 23 21:20:31 PDT 2002

begin Seth David Schoen quotation of Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 05:48:31PM -0700:

> At the EFF, we've been hearing that various national
> government are very interested in automated means of determining where
> some Internet user is physically located.  (This is usually called
> "geolocation".)  It might be better for Internet freedom if people
> didn't contribute to identifying machines' physical locations this
> way.

There are many reasons for a user not to want to reveal his or
her location.

However, there should be ways to make an effective "where am I"
service for travelers that don't reveal their location to others.

1. In case of NAT (I know, NAT is evil, but it's common for wireless
and other guest-usable networks), put the LOC record on the hostname
corresponding to the inside interface of the NAT router.

2. Make the PTR records for routers and access points point to a
net-devices.example.com subdomain that is delgated to a name server
that is only reachable from inside.

3. Make LOC records sufficiently precise to be useful for timekeeping
and related purposes, but large enough to span jurisdictions.

4. Do not offer DNS LOC if you do not offer access for traveling
users, or turn it on only when you have visitors.

5. Set up an LOC record for the DHCP server, one of the local name
servers, or another host that the client can easily know about but
that the Secret Police would find it difficult to discover.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                       Help spread accurate information