[linux-elitists] LOC-issue

john spurling synec@nakedlunch.org
Thu Aug 22 16:04:28 PDT 2002

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 12:42:36AM +0200, Brenno J.S.A.A.F. de Winter wrote:

> john spurling wrote:
>
> |if i ran a mailing list, i'd certainly reserve the right to
> |censor. if i try to send 10000 messages a minute to linux-elitists,
> |and Don censors me, i would guess you'd be happy. the same goes for
> |racist claptrap. don't like being censored? get your own mailing
> |list.
>
> I have my own mailinglist. I just feel that people should be able to
> discuss something. Wasn't that the point of a mailinglist in the first
> place. Don't get me wrong no racist shit here or anywhere else on the
> Internet. It just sounded kind-off no discussion here and that's not the
> Don that always seeks the discussion and the ratio.

i think the point here is that when a person runs a mailing list, we
trust that person to only censor things that people on the list as a
whole won't want to see. for us, Don is sort of a trusted content
filter. your emails were intelligent and rational (imo), and Don let
them through (obviously), even though the opinions may or may not be
shared by him. he's not trying to squelch dissenting opinion, as far
as i can tell; he's just trying to keep the proverbial signal to noise
ratio high.

-john

--
"nothing brings people together like doom."
		--sarah vowell