[linux-elitists] LOC-issue

john spurling synec@nakedlunch.org
Thu Aug 22 15:41:07 PDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 11:59:50PM +0200, Brenno J.S.A.A.F. de Winter wrote:

> Don,
>
> Without being anti-Islam I do sense quite often that love is
> uni-directional. I respect their religion as is, but in our society
> evidence is given time and time again that certain - again not all but
> certain - Islamic groups call out for the destruction of our society -
> the same society that game them shelter. That makes me somewhat
> reluctant to follow to your suggestion. On the other hand if we don't
> give a hand things will never change. This is something I need to think
> about.

don't believe the hype. both a good lebanese friend of mine
(non-muslim) and an american friend with a phd in middle eastern
studies inform me that your chances of getting news anywhere in the
west that comes anywhere close to reality are slim to none. given the
amount of lying happening on here in the u.s., i'm inclined to believe
them.

certainly there are extremists and nutcases... but they're nutcases
and extremists. we've certainly got our share of those here.

> |(I, of course, plan to delete any anti-Islam mail that this
> |suggestion generates, without replying.  Don't waste your carpal
> |tunnels.)
>
> Does this mean that you'll do the same for anti-Christian statements,
> anti-Jewish statements and anti-Republican statements as well. Even if
> people don't agree we should at least be free (without discriminating)
> to state our opinion. That is one of the commodities of the free world.
> Again nothing against the peace-loving people. But I resent the
> militants that think we're sinners and deserve to die.

if i ran a mailing list, i'd certainly reserve the right to
censor. if i try to send 10000 messages a minute to linux-elitists,
and Don censors me, i would guess you'd be happy. the same goes for
racist claptrap. don't like being censored? get your own mailing
list.

-john

--
"nothing brings people together like doom."
		--sarah vowell