[linux-elitists] Fwd: Linus on patents (was: Re: large page patch (fwd) (fwd))

Sean Neakums sneakums@zork.net
Sun Aug 11 16:19:42 PDT 2002

(He noted in a direct followup: "I'm not a lawyer, and I suspect this
may not be legally tenable advice. Whatever. I refuse to bother with
the crap.")

-------------------- Start of forwarded message --------------------
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 15:55:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>
To: Daniel Phillips <phillips@arcor.de>
cc: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>, <frankeh@watson.ibm.com>,
	<davidm@hpl.hp.com>, David Mosberger <davidm@napali.hpl.hp.com>,
	"David S. Miller" <davem@redhat.com>, <gh@us.ibm.com>,
	<Martin.Bligh@us.ibm.com>, <wli@holomorpy.com>,
	<linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: large page patch (fwd) (fwd)

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Daniel Phillips wrote:

> It goes on in this vein.  I suggest all vm hackers have a close look at
> this.  Yes, it's stupid, but we can't just ignore it.

Actually, we can, and I will.

I do not look up any patents on _principle_, because (a) it's a horrible
waste of time and (b) I don't want to know.

The fact is, technical people are better off not looking at patents. If
you don't know what they cover and where they are, you won't be knowingly
infringing on them. If somebody sues you, you change the algorithm or you
just hire a hit-man to whack the stupid git.

			Linus

-

--
[|] Sean Neakums            |  Questions are a burden to others;