[linux-elitists] Market share figures for 2001?

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed Aug 7 13:48:40 PDT 2002

begin Nick Moffitt quotation of Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 12:48:32PM -0700:

> So I read something that got me to thinking.  Do you remember those
> market share calculations that IDC used to do?  They documented the
> rise of GNU/Linux in the server arena, and showed it slowly but surely
> overtaking the other OSes .  In 2000 they showed Linux at about 30%
> and Microsoft stuff at about 40%
>
> So where the hell are the data for 2001?  It's like they got a big
> payoff to just not publish it this year.

Just called them.  They're saying there was a 5% decline in Linux
_revenues_ from 2000 to 2001, but as for number of Linux servers
actually installed, who knows.

"IDC expects spending on Linux operating environments to increase
over the next five years from $80 million in 2001 to $280 million
in 2006"

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                       Help spread accurate information