[linux-elitists] (fwd) Linux Saved Our Car!

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Fri Aug 2 10:21:10 PDT 2002

Quite possibly the most *unusual* Linux testimony I've seen and therefore
provided for amusement value.

From: Sylvia Li <metatron@escape.ca>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.composition
Subject: Linux saved our car!
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 04:39:28 GMT

Department: Suspicious Happenings

See, last night was a perfectly normal evening. Hot spell, had been for
several days, dead calm. I was working late, Robert went off to a Linux
user group meeting, and afterwards he picked me up and we drove home.
Dum-de-dum. Pulled into the drivewa --  "What's *that*??"

A tree had fallen. Big one -- maybe, I don't know, 60-70 feet? It was not
quite blocking our access to the garage. Robert calmly negotiated around
it, stopped in front of the garage door, and we both got out to look at
the thing.

We've gotten used to the idea that around here big old trees do come down
in windstorms, but aside from a branch or two that this one had wrenched
on its way down, not a neighboring tree had so much as a disarranged twig.
Apparently it just... fell. For no reason.

I was marveling at this, when Robert remarked, "You know, before I went to
the meeting, I had the car parked right there." He pointed to a spot that
was now intersected by a thick, heavy tree trunk.

So all I have to say is this. Mary, that was a dammned sneaky underhanded
attack. I intend to keep my husband. And my car. I don't care if he is the
last witness. You stop, this minute, or -- well, you think you've got
problems with "dove" now, lady? Just you wait till your *next* book is
being copy-edited.

--
Sylvia Li
sed 's/coo/cool/'

--
_Deirdre    Clarion 2002: http://clarion.deirdre.org  http://deirdre.net
"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done."   - Steven Wright