[linux-elitists] hacked your tivo yet?

M. Drew Streib dtype@dtype.org
Thu Aug 1 11:28:06 PDT 2002

In playing with my TiVo(s) for some time now, and just starting to
get into some porting/software development, I see way too many
little proprietary Windows apps to do things like TiVo extraction,
remote programming, etc.

TiVo is hackable because of its free software foundation. Seeing
proprietary apps on top of it just hurts. (not everything is like that.
Everything is based on Tridge's work to some extent, and I wonder
if some of it is in GPL violation anyway)

Anyway, long story short, I've begun a new forum for open source
development and porting of apps for TiVo.

http://alt.org/forum/

If you haven't yet hacked your TiVo, what the hell are you waiting for?

If you haven't yet cross-compiled things for your tivo. It is pretty
damn easy and a great introduction to cross-compilation. What the
hell are you waiting for?

If you don't yet have a TiVo, what the hell are you waiting for?

If you have a legitimate reason like "I don't watch TV because it
mushes my brain", then you are a better person than I.

-drew

--
M. Drew Streib <dtype@dtype.org>
Independent Rambler, Software/Standards/Freedom/Law -- http://dtype.org/