[rail^H^H^H^H^H[linux-elitists] MTA roundup

Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Mon Apr 29 19:00:10 PDT 2002

begin  Steve Beattie  quotation:
> The local light rail has third and fourth interior rails over
> bridges and in tunnels, that are there (I ASS-U-ME) to prevent
> (low-speed?) derailments from going off the bridge, into the tunnel
> wall, or doing the same to a train on parallel tracks. Given that
> most of the local light rail line is non-elevated, there's a pretty
> clear correlation.

	This is what I think of as the most likely explanation for
this.  I didn't see these things anywhere but on the elevated
platforms, and they are *awfully* narrow.

	If this is the case, they must not get much wear.  The rails
we saw in Chicago had an undisturbed layer of rust.

--
INFORMATION GLADLY GIVEN BUT SAFETY REQUIRES AVOIDING UNNECESSARY CONVERSATION
end