[linux-elitists] MTA roundup

Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Mon Apr 29 12:03:47 PDT 2002

begin  Don Marti Lives Three Hours from Nowhere  quotation:
> > Qmail
[...]
> Plan to spend [ length of time ] downloading, compiling, configuring,
> and troubleshooting patches in order to make qmail interoperate
> with other software.

	Specifically, and this is always the argument I raise against
qmail, these myriad patches *have not all been tested in combination*.
That is, sure you can apply patch foo to fix the FHS, and patch bar to
get qmail to behave properly with backup MXes, and patch gar[0]-gar[n]
to add all these features you want.  But in the end you're going to be
spending time TESTING AND DEBUGGING.

	That is, once you reach a certain patch threshold, you may as
well be implementing these features yourself.

> If you want to see a bunch of tweaky little sysadmin projects, do
> a web search on the name of each program you want to run +qmail.
> Sure you want to run it?  You can't get a pre-fixed qmail from
> another site because of the licensing, so don't try.

	That's a very good point.

--
INFORMATION GLADLY GIVEN BUT SAFETY REQUIRES AVOIDING UNNECESSARY CONVERSATION
end