[linux-elitists] MTA roundup

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Apr 29 10:19:52 PDT 2002

begin Marc MERLIN quotation of Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 05:37:58PM -0700:

> Sendmail

Most software that works with Un*x mail expects to see good old
sendmail, so the admin burden of working with it is minimal.
Exim and postfix provide accurate sendmail emulation, though.

milter.org has many recipes for filtering, virus and worm checking,
and spam fighting.

> Qmail

> This wouldn't  be a problem  per se, since  patches exist to  support things
> that Dan doesn't  agree with and won't  include in his source  tree, but you
> are  not allowed,  among other  things to  redistribute binaries  of patched
> qmail  source.

Plan to spend [ length of time ] downloading, compiling, configuring,
and troubleshooting patches in order to make qmail interoperate
with other software.

If you want to see a bunch of tweaky little sysadmin projects, do
a web search on the name of each program you want to run +qmail.
Sure you want to run it?  You can't get a pre-fixed qmail from
another site because of the licensing, so don't try.

> Postfix
> Postfix has a sane configuration file, and is also known to be very fast.
> For people who like the modular approach  for MTAs, and people who like some
> of the features of qmail, postfix should definitely be the MTA of choice.

Even if you decide to use sendmail or Exim as your internal mailer,
a stripped-down, featureless, secure Postfix gateway for mail
entering or leaving your site is a good idea.

Postfix's capability for content filtering is limited:
http://www.postfix.org/faq.html#scanning

> exim

Marc Merlin runs exim.  Game over, exim wins.

> Conclusion:
> To anyone looking for an MTA today,  I recommend postfix or exim. Exim is my
> MTA of choice because of its configurability, but if postfix's functionality
> is enough for you, and you like the security model, then you should probably
> pick it.

I would recommend postfix or exim.  Postfix is my MTA of choice
because of its simplicity and strict security policy where nothing
runs as root that doesn't have to.  But if you really need exim's
features then you should probably pick it.  Consider using exim
or sendmail on your internal mail server and Postfix on your mail
gateway to get the best of both.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                       Help spread accurate information