[linux-elitists] MTA roundup

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Mon Apr 29 10:15:03 PDT 2002

Quoting Shawn McMahon (smcmahon@eiv.com):

> There's a reason Dan doesn't respond to Rick's rant by attempting to
> refute it, but instead by stooping to grade-school insults, and it's
> not just because Dan's thick-headed and thin-skinned.  If you can't
> refute the message, call the messenger an idiot; works every time.

Actually, I don't especially mind being called an idiot:  The man's
entitled to his personal opinions.  But I _am_ disappointed that Dan's
page attributes to me a view I've never stated and don't hold, and then
calls me an idiot _because_ of that view.

Thus http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#djb2 , which addresses that.

I've had some of the more emotionally balanced DJBware fans write and
say they appreciated the licence analysis, because it points out some
real long-term issues.  Which is really a nice thing to see, because my
aim on the "rants" page is to (1) express my views, and (2) clarify
issues.

It's nice that some people are able to get past not liking those views
and appreciate the analyses on their separate merits, regardless of
one's personal opinions.

On the other hand, the batshit-crazy hatemail is kinda fun, too.  Like
Russ Nelson telling me that I'm committing "libel against qmail", a novel
stance on legal standing if I ever heard one.

--
Cheers,                                      "Reality is not optional."
Rick Moen                                             -- Thomas Sowell