[linux-elitists] MTA roundup

Marc MERLIN marc@merlins.org
Sun Apr 28 23:53:19 PDT 2002

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 11:38:39PM -0700, Aaron T Porter wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 05:37:58PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
>
> > The  list grows  longer,  the  arbitrary, and  in  my  opinion, plain  silly
> > licensing restrictions on qmail, make  qmail non open source compliant among
> > other  things, and  makes one  wonder why  we should  bother with  all these
> > restrictions when there are fine alternatives available nowadays.
> > If you are interested, you can find some more details by Rick Moen here:
> > http://www.linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#djb
>
> 	I don't think it's fair to link to Rick's rant about Dan without
> linking to Dan's rant about Rick. Bottom of the page.
>
> 	http://cr.yp.to/distributors.html

Fair enough, thanks for the link.

That  said, while  he makes  a valid  point for  Red Hat's  position wrt  to
distributing OSS only,  linking to his page which answers  Rick's essay with
"Rick Moen is an idiot" is hardly doing him a favor, now is it?

Quite frankly,  I'm not certain  I really need to  add this page,  it simply
furthers my  point that  DJB enjoys  being thickheaded,  and my  roundup was
meant to talk about  the MTAs, not DJB, however I had to  make it clear that
qmail isn't  open source, and  warn people  about the license  issues before
they consider using it.

Marc