[linux-elitists] MTA roundup

Marc MERLIN marc@merlins.org
Sun Apr 28 19:30:47 PDT 2002

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 07:14:18PM -0700, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> 	It's just that the automobile was introduced as an alternative
> to the train, horse and cart, and velocipede.  Not vice-versa.  The
> automobile is the "alternative", and the subway is one of the
> originals.

al·ter·na·tive   Pronunciation Key  (ôl-tûrn-tv, l-)
n.

   1.
         1. The choice between two mutually exclusive possibilities.
         2. A situation presenting such a choice.
         3. Either of these possibilities. See Synonyms at choice.
   2. One of a number of things from which one must be chosen.

No mention of "X is an alternative to Y" meaning "X came after Y".
Again, thanks for playing.

That said, this subthread will end on my side. You've again chosen to not be
useful and argue about irrelevant things instead of being productive. That's
fine.
You tend do  to do this outside  of your little "I am  god here" crackmonkey
playground. I  find this  inappropriate, but  that's Don's  list, and  Don's
problem.
In my case, nothing procmail can't fix if I get sufficiently annoyed.

Marc

PS: I've lived 24  years in Paris on nothing other  than buses, subways, and
my skateboard, so  don't come and tell me about  public transportation, I've
used it longer than you have.