[linux-elitists] Hey Don!

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sun Apr 28 15:16:28 PDT 2002

on Sun, Apr 28, 2002, Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org) wrote:
> begin Seth David Schoen quotation of Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 01:45:24PM -0700:
>
> > The FSF has finally answered my question:
> >
> > http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/amazon.html#whyContinue
>
> It might just be best to pick an online bookstore that has...
>
>   1. A reasonably secure, or at least not on crack, software platform
>
>   2. A sound privacy policy, including a Vixie-friendly policy for
>      mail opt-in
>
>   3. Good selection
>
>   4. Working access for browsers and users
>
> ...and promote the hell out of them, grass roots style, by all doing
> "Books you should Buy and Read" pages with an explanation of _why_
> we're linking to them and not Amazon.
>
> After all, burnallgifs.org didn't tell people to start using ASCII
> art; we promote a drop-in alternative.
>
> Is there any deal-killer preventing Powell's from being the book
> site of choice?  (This ought to keep all you Michael Moore fans
> happy: http://www.powellsunion.com/) Is there a better bookstore
> we should be promoting instead?

Powell's certainly has national reach despite its Portland, OR, roots.

For SF Bay Area locals, Cody's Books in Berkeley, and Staceys, no
restricted to SF and Cupertino locations.

There are a number of very strong University bookstores.  Standford's is
amazingly comprehensive.  Not sure about UCB, don't spend too much time
there.  I do recall UC Davis's being pretty good while I was there, but
this is decade-old memories.  Maybe online book sales are a growth
opportunity for academic book stores...hmmm....

I've been using signify to promote some causes / organizations / memes
of interest.  Sometimes political, sometimes (current) outfits that have
given me what I feel to be amazingly good service & value.  I'll post my
.signify file separately if there's an interest.

Thoughts?

   Scandinavian Designs:  Cool furniture, affordable prices, great service.
     San Rafael, CA.