[linux-elitists] Memo from Self: To Hal with it, off with her head!

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Apr 22 14:08:14 PDT 2002

begin Karsten M. Self quotation of Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 03:43:41PM -0700:

> Let's get some heads on the block.  I'm nominating Feinstein, though a
> sober analysis would find a key sponsor in a swing state with a narrow
> support margin and a current election.  Nobody quite fits the bill in
> the current cycle.  Other current co-sponsors are Fritz Hollings (D-SC),
> Ted Stevens (R-Alaska), Daniel Inouye (D-Hawaii), and John Breaux
> (D-Louisana).  The fact that one seat swings the senate makes things
> interesting.  Feinstein's most recent election margin was 56% in 2000.

The Republicans didn't even put up a serious candidate against
Feinstein last time.

Seems like what we should be doing here in California is
concentrating on the House.

Interestingly enough, South Carolina has an adjusted Linux/Web
quotient of 13.0, (14.7 before you -Hollings) -- higher than all the
other co-sponsors' states except California, and in the top 10 for
all states.  (The Linux/Web quotient is the number of results for
+linux +state_name on Google, divided by the number of thousands
of results for state_name.)

State          LWQ   rank

California     17.1     4
South Carolina 14.7     6
South Carolina 13.0     9   (-Hollings)
Hawaii         9.3     21
Alaska         8.0     34
Louisiana      7.5     40

"Incumbent Hollings wins close race in South Carolina"  (CNN, 1998)

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1998/11/03/election/senate/south.carolina/

Now, the last thing a respectable South Carolina politican
running against Sen. Hollings needs is a bunch of crypto-using,
sidewalk-painting, self-proclaimed "geeks" from other states showing
up with the declared effect of manipulating the political process
with their money.  That's enough political own-foot-shooting to
cancel out Hollings' Hollywood contributions and then some.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                       Help spread accurate information