[linux-elitists] Note to myself

Bulent Murtezaoglu bm@acm.org
Fri Apr 19 18:12:49 PDT 2002

[...]
    RB> There's a web software list I'm on where many of the
    RB> subscribers are "power users" of closed-ware.  The few times
    RB> I've bothered to post I've seen a barrage of "out of office"
    RB> mailings from list members rattling down the procmail pipes. [...]

It is lost cause trying to explain to these people why these
auto-responders are broken.  Remember, these are the same people who
send you copies of your e-mail verbatim when responding and see
nothing stupid or offensive about that.  Given all that, I think the
stupidity sent back by that MailScan program is not any more ludicrous
then the "certified virus free" footers the others append.  What I am
wondering is whether or not the folks who code these things are as
ignorant and misguided as the consumers of their handiwork.  That's a
very bleak picture if true, I'd be happier if I heard convincing
arguments that the coders actually giggle about these things and thank
god for their clueless clientele that enables them to put food on
their tables w/o breaking much of sweat to produce something they
themselves could take pride in.

cheers,

BM