[linux-elitists] Re: Google censorship of xenu.com domain [#201159]

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu Apr 11 21:34:58 PDT 2002

begin Rusty Foster quotation of Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 11:24:10PM -0500:

> So Don, what happened?

Good news this week on Google's DMCA policy.  Google is continuing
to take advantage of "Safe Harbor" but is otherwise flipping Helena
Kobrin and other such lawyers the bird with both hands.

Exhibit A: New Google DMCA page includes "put back" and public
notification policy.

"It is our policy to send copies of all notices of alleged
infringement to third parties who will make them available to
the public."

(In other words, "We'll take it out of our database but it will
be linked to from all the freedom-loving sites in the world --
is that what you want?")

Exhibit B: chillingeffects.org carrying letters to Google

Google is already passing DMCA letters along to chillingeffects.org.
These two are dated April 9 and 10, and refer to the fine web sites
http://www.clambake.org/ and http://home.kvalito.no/  (everybody
link now!) neither one of which anyone not on the bridge of the
_Freewinds_ gave gluteus rattus about last week.

http://chillingeffects.org/dmca512/notice.cgi?NoticeID=253
http://chillingeffects.org/dmca512/notice.cgi?NoticeID=252

(More on this should be on linuxjournal.com after I talk
with the chillingeffects.org people and if Google ever hires
http://www.google.com/jobs/openings2.html#intl_pr to start answering
their press@google.com mail dammit.)

--
Don Marti