[linux-elitists] The M4n 0wnZ You

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Thu Apr 11 13:27:42 PDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 08:48, Mr.Bad wrote:

>     EL> Sorry, they don't cover the stuff I need. Don't see a single
>     EL> article of interest to me there. Plus, quality seems to suck.
>
> So, Gene, the Man has you by the balls because you're a junkie for his
> information. He's laughing at your junk-sick haX0ring attempts! YOU
> 4R3 0WN3D.
>
> Which do you need more, man? The NYT, or FREEDOM?

Are those my only choices?

Is freedom something that I lose by reading the NYT? Is it really that
delicate a thing?

Am I not free to choose watching MTV, reading the NYT, eating at KFC and
listening to BSB?

I'm not saying that that's the life I want or lead, but why is it that
if I *do want* to lead it, I *should not*? How does denying my desired
lifestyle increase my freedom?

Freedom is not, in fact, a commodity that can be traded away for a
morning newspaper. Freedom is a state of mind; a path if you will. It is
not achieved, but striven for. I, like Noam Chomsky tend to grind my
teeth while reading the New York Times, and I think that anyone who
accepts their world-view whole cloth, without any sort of verification
is getting a bad deal. However, I know of no media outlets
("independent" or "corporate") which perfectly match the ideals of
objective journalism and cover enough of the world to count. Heck no one
meets the first of those criteria!

If you really want to know what's going on outside, stick your head out
the door. If you can't be there, read about it in as many places as you
can. Never trust polar viewpoints (I was almost in tears this morning,
listening to NPR's coverage of "the two" points of view in the mideast
conflict), but listen to them and then move on to other sources, other
ideas, other points of view.

THE MAN does not exist. THE MAN is you. THE MAN is me. Make the most of
it.