spam trapping (was Re: Double Irony! (was Re: [linux-elitists] ruben's stupid filter))

Dan Wilder dan@ssc.com
Tue Apr 9 08:58:07 PDT 2002

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 04:18:22AM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Mon, Apr 08, 2002, Dan Wilder (dan@ssc.com) wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 01:42:22PM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
>
> > You can raise hell with the upstream providers of the actual origin
> > host.  Some care, most (I think) don't.  Look at all the years
> > uu.net was (is?) a spam haven for its dialup customers.
>
> Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed the blast of crap spewing
> from a handful of BellSouth.net IPs?  This since, say, mid-February.

Yes.

Though my favorites are genuity.(net|com) and friends, such as
algx.net.  There's been a flood of spam from those jokers containing
forged headers listing a42.com, SSC's nameserver.  I've wasted
a fair amount of time lately responding to the resulting complaints.
My own compaints to abuse@genuity.net don't seem to elicit any action
at all.