[linux-elitists] IP: NYT: (Microsoft's) High-profile anti-Unix siteruns UNIX (FreeBSD) (fwd)

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Tue Apr 9 01:36:06 PDT 2002

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Doug Winter wrote:

> What about the "scripted database poisoning"?

What about it, indeed?

> Even the NYT probably don't care if you lie to them "by hand", but

If the bulk of submissions is bogus, as is to be suspected (most people
nowadays lie on web registration forms), and you don't care about quality
of your data, why gathering it in the first place?  Because you want to
harvest a few email addresses? Sounds about right.

> poisoning a database with a script seems to be both ethically
> problematic and probably illegal as well as an odd way to spend one's

Well, this shows that ethics isn't as clear-cut as people want it to be,
which is only natural.

As to being illegal, I would like to

1) see a law allowing NYT to persecute foreign nationals who're just
   filling a registration dbase with crap

2) see me catch me doing it, and actually care enough to track me down and
   to sue

> leisure time.

Apparently, you're unaware that people in general are ready to go at great
lengths to punish a behaviour in others they find objectionable. As I
said, the day I find out cpunx/cpunx doesn't work anymore, it will be time
for a little LWP scripting.