[linux-elitists] IP: NYT: (Microsoft's) High-profile anti-Unix siteruns UNIX (FreeBSD) (fwd)

Thomas Duffy tduffy@directvinternet.com
Mon Apr 8 16:45:20 PDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 15:52, Aaron T Porter wrote:

> 	So buying and using a cable or satelite descrambler is ok too,
> because it's mass media?

If a company broadcasts a signal off a satellite and it enters my house,
I have every right to do whatever I want to that signal inside my house.

If the cable company hooks up a wire to my house and I don't pay the
bill, they have to right to cut it at the poll.  If they don't and I
keep getting a signal, I have every right to use it, split it, enhance
it, etc. in my house.

>  How about taking a newspaper without paying for
> it? Circumventing long distance telephone metering?

Both of these examples cause a direct loss to the company, so they are
not right.  The newspaper loses the paper that was printed, the phone
company loses a line on their network.

-tduffy