[linux-elitists] IP: NYT: (Microsoft's) High-profile anti-Unix siteruns UNIX (FreeBSD) (fwd)

Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Mon Apr 8 16:19:37 PDT 2002

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Aaron T Porter wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 06:58:53PM -0400, Jay Sulzberger wrote:
> > > 	Do you actaully think this way? Using the nyt.com site with a
> > > communal/fake login is just petty theft. Admittedly it's probably no
> > > worse than reading the headlines at a news stand without buying a copy,
> > > but be honest about what's going on here; they're offering to exchange a
> > > service of generally high quality for some personal information about you
> > > that they believe they can leverage in order to fund the venture. Working
> > > ways around that is no better than shoplifting. If you don't like their
> > > registration policies, or what they might do with the information they
> > > collect, don't use the damned site and suck it up.
> >
> > Nonsense.  My giving out personal information which may be used in ways
> > not under my control is not analogous to my paying 75 cents for a
> > newspaper.
>
> 	It's exactly analogous. That's their asking price. I'm not saying
> it's good, fair or just; that's their asking price. If it's too high,
> don't buy it. There are plenty of news sources out there.

Nonsense.  They do not specify their asking price.  Why do none of these
entities with "Privacy Policy" folk ever give you a list of the spammers
and con folk they sell your private information to?

oo--JS.