[linux-elitists] IP: NYT: (Microsoft's) High-profile anti-Unix siteruns UNIX (FreeBSD) (fwd)

Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Mon Apr 8 16:13:41 PDT 2002

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Aaron T Porter wrote:

< quoted matter from john spurling removed />

> 	So how far does your philosophy stretch? Bookstores put those
> magnetic strips in their books to prevent theft. They're fairly easy to
> find and remove. Is it your right then to circumvent their anti-theft
> devices and shoplift? The NYT website isn't some public resource they're
> restricting you access to that you inherintly deserve -- it's a commercial
> service! If you don't like their terms, don't use the service -- or better
> yet start your own... write for indymedia... whatever. But "doing whatever
> we want" to obtain unfettered access to their resources is in my mind
> immoral. I do think that you have the right to practice civil disobedience
> and provide such a registration, but acting as if the New York Times is
> the "bad guy" in the situation definately hits a nerve.

Of course the cases are not at all close.  I am not stealing a book, I am
rather refusing to hand over to a large uncontrolled entity private
information, to use as the large uncontrolled entity sees fit.  In cases
where such entities claim "We will respect your privacy." the claim is
almost always not only wrong, but fails even to rise to the level of a
coherent lie.  One office is in charge of putting up a page called "Our
Privacy Policy".  Another office is in charge of selling your private
information without your consent to spammers and con folk.  These two
offices do not communicate, except occasionally when suit is brought
against the large uncontrolled entity.

Yahoo has recently publically demonstrated that the "Our Privacy Policy"
office has nothing to do with the "Private Information for Sale" office.

> 	On the subject of blocking ads & popups -- I do think it's very
> shortsighted to undermine the business model of an online resource that
> you obviously find valuable. I do however make a personal ethical
> distinction between turning off all pop{up,under} ads in Mozilla and
> actively providing false or misleading registration information for a
> commercial service.

There are how many hundred million people with Internet connections?  What
was the "business model" that succeeded in getting the infrastructure built
and these people on the Net?  It was not "popup" advertisements.

oo--JS.