[linux-elitists] IP: NYT: (Microsoft's) High-profile anti-Unix siteruns UNIX (FreeBSD) (fwd)

Shawn McMahon smcmahon@eiv.com
Mon Apr 8 16:11:17 PDT 2002

begin  Aaron T Porter quotation:
> > The problem isn't necessarily what they're doing now, but what they do
> > next week.  They could pull a Yahoo and decide to start selling your
> > information to spammers.
>
> 	Do you actaully think this way?

I didn't until the other day, when Yahoo did exactly this.  Where you
been, under a rock?

> Using the nyt.com site with a
> communal/fake login is just petty theft.

What?  How the heck do you figure that one?

Is it also petty theft to read the dead-tree edition at a library?

> but be honest about what's going on here; they're offering to exchange a
> service of generally high quality for some personal information about you
> that they believe they can leverage in order to fund the venture.

My personal information costs more than their newspaper.  If they'd like
to give me equal value, I'd consider it.

> Working
> ways around that is no better than shoplifting.

Bullshit; ways around that are no worse than libraries.

--
Shawn McMahon                    | Information may want to be free, but fiber
http://www.eiv.com               | optic cable wants to be one million US