[linux-elitists] IP: NYT: (Microsoft's) High-profile anti-Unix siteruns UNIX (FreeBSD) (fwd)

Aaron T Porter atporter@primate.net
Mon Apr 8 16:02:36 PDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 06:58:53PM -0400, Jay Sulzberger wrote:
> > 	Do you actaully think this way? Using the nyt.com site with a
> > communal/fake login is just petty theft. Admittedly it's probably no
> > worse than reading the headlines at a news stand without buying a copy,
> > but be honest about what's going on here; they're offering to exchange a
> > service of generally high quality for some personal information about you
> > that they believe they can leverage in order to fund the venture. Working
> > ways around that is no better than shoplifting. If you don't like their
> > registration policies, or what they might do with the information they
> > collect, don't use the damned site and suck it up.
>
> Nonsense.  My giving out personal information which may be used in ways
> not under my control is not analogous to my paying 75 cents for a
> newspaper.

	It's exactly analogous. That's their asking price. I'm not saying
it's good, fair or just; that's their asking price. If it's too high,
don't buy it. There are plenty of news sources out there.