[linux-elitists] IP: NYT: (Microsoft's) High-profile anti-Unix siteruns UNIX (FreeBSD) (fwd)

Aaron T Porter atporter@primate.net
Mon Apr 8 15:52:13 PDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 10:39:40PM +0000, john spurling wrote:
> selling a physical book (or newspaper, for that matter) is *obviously*
> different from lying on a form required for access to content. and
> it's also obviously not stealing if nyt isn't charging for its
> content.

	Ah, but you see they *are* charging for their content. Think of it
as barter. You want their news & information, they want your personal
information and browsing habits.

> if nyt started charging for access to their content, and i
> wrote a script to suck down the articles and post them on my website,
> i would agree that that's theft. i'm not saying that nyt is doing
> anything wrong at all; i'm merely saying it's my prerogative to go
> around it. and i agree: it is a "commercial service," but it's not a
> business in the same way burger king is. mass media is certainly a
> business, but it's... special. society view mass media as a way to
> communicate on a large scale, which is why there are laws that
> regulate how mass media operates. examples: the emergency broadcast
> system and the requirement of a certain percentage of canadian artists
> played on canadian radio stations. whether or not you agree with the
> laws that control the content of mass media on an individual basis,
> you must concede that it's not just another business like starbucks or
> a commercial service like aol.

	So buying and using a cable or satelite descrambler is ok too,
because it's mass media? How about taking a newspaper without paying for
it? Circumventing long distance telephone metering?