[linux-elitists] IP: NYT: (Microsoft's) High-profile anti-Unix siteruns UNIX (FreeBSD) (fwd)

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Mon Apr 8 15:20:43 PDT 2002

Quoting Aaron T Porter (atporter@primate.net):

> Ok Rick, I will happily admit that providing false registration
> informaton voilates no criminal statues that I am aware of, and very
> well might not be enforceable even if it did.

The bit about theft was, indeed, just melodrama.

Absent that, you've made a claim that real names and e-mail addresses
are morally required by some principle of reciprocity.  Perhaps those
obligations are somehow keyed to the Subscriber Agreement
(http://www.nytimes.com/ref/membercenter/help/agree.html)?

If so, and if one grants the rather risible assumption that this
"agreement" actually is such, then one notices that it doesn't bar
using a nom-de-punk.  Section 6.1 purports to ban various impersonations
of other "members" that the other party hasn't authorised, but not ones
the other party is cool with.

But, even if section 11.5 said "No cypherpunks, fool!", alleged moral
obligations to give free-of-charge Web sites information to spam me and
spy on my interests are null and void ab initio, in my book.

But Those Views, They Do Differ<tm>.

--
Cheers,                                             Live Faust, die Jung.
Rick Moen