[linux-elitists] IP: NYT: (Microsoft's) High-profile anti-Unix siteruns UNIX (FreeBSD) (fwd)

Aaron T Porter atporter@primate.net
Mon Apr 8 14:10:59 PDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 12:00:35PM -0400, Shawn McMahon wrote:
> begin  quoting what Bulent Murtezaoglu said on Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 11:12:21AM -0400:
> >
> > Well, I dunno about eulas and such and indeed I don't know what the
> > login is doing for them but it is their site and their content.  Shame
> > on them though for not answering to e-mail.
>
> The problem isn't necessarily what they're doing now, but what they do
> next week.  They could pull a Yahoo and decide to start selling your
> information to spammers.

	Do you actaully think this way? Using the nyt.com site with a
communal/fake login is just petty theft. Admittedly it's probably no
worse than reading the headlines at a news stand without buying a copy,
but be honest about what's going on here; they're offering to exchange a
service of generally high quality for some personal information about you
that they believe they can leverage in order to fund the venture. Working
ways around that is no better than shoplifting. If you don't like their
registration policies, or what they might do with the information they
collect, don't use the damned site and suck it up.