[linux-elitists] IP: NYT: (Microsoft's) High-profile anti-Unix siteruns UNIX (FreeBSD) (fwd)

Andy Bastien lists@yuggoth.net
Mon Apr 8 13:25:35 PDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 14:46, Jay Sulzberger wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Bulent Murtezaoglu wrote:
> >
> > > The DoS aspect aside, I suspect this is a 'cultural' difference.  I
> >
> > To reiterate, it's not a DoS if their user dbase gets a bogus entry once a
> > few seconds. The regular users are still able to log in fine. It's just
> > they won't be able to use the dbase for marketing purposes as it is being
> > slowly poisoned.
>
> Whys should some small increase in the number of resistant sales prospects
> have such effect?

That's true.  I'm sure they count on some percentage of the database
entries being invalid, simply based on the fact that some people give
false information when filling out the forms.  They're not stupid; they
know people do this.  For database poisoning to be effective, it must be
done on a large scale.  Not by hundreds or thousands, but millions.  If
it was possible to have 1000 individuals poisoning the database for a
space of 10 hours with 1000 records per hour (that's about one every 3 -
4 seconds), that would be 10,000,000 records and probably enough to make
a difference.
Honestly, though, if this was to be done, I'd prefer that it be done
against spammers (you may have already won, fill in this form to find
out, or qualify for a low-interest mortgage, etc., etc.) and other very
evil people, instead of the just slightly evil NYT.  A couple of dozen
per spammer would probably be enough, at least until they start using
smarter forms.