[linux-elitists] IP: NYT: (Microsoft's) High-profile anti-Unix siteruns UNIX (FreeBSD) (fwd)

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Mon Apr 8 08:32:21 PDT 2002

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Bulent Murtezaoglu wrote:

> The DoS aspect aside, I suspect this is a 'cultural' difference.  I

To reiterate, it's not a DoS if their user dbase gets a bogus entry once a
few seconds. The regular users are still able to log in fine. It's just
they won't be able to use the dbase for marketing purposes as it is being
slowly poisoned.

> used to dutifully provide my e-mail address to anonymous ftp sites in
> the pre-www days also even though I knew a@ would likely work.  It
> seemed an innocuous enough thing for the owners of the site to wish to
> know.  At that time, most ftp servers had a banner that'd say "we log
> everything, bugger off if this bothers you" and nobody got offended by

I used to do that too, and still do, as long as the site is not
commercial. I don't trust commercial entities with my personal info,
however, because I've been burned many times before.

> that.  Now I realize requiring a login entails more work than entering
> a simple e-mail address, but I find it is easy to get around by using
> the same login/password for every non critical site.  Since I don't
> feel the initial irritation, it is probably hard for me to understand
> the reaction.

Dunno, I just don't want to get even more spam. Just a cypherpunk thing in
face of potential invasion of privacy.