[linux-elitists] IP: NYT: (Microsoft's) High-profile anti-Unix siteruns UNIX (FreeBSD) (fwd)

Bulent Murtezaoglu bm@acm.org
Mon Apr 8 08:12:21 PDT 2002

[...]
    EL> The point is to use a common login. I don't have to register
    EL> for every XY crap service out there. Next time you'll look NYT
    EL> is going to offer you an EULA mentioning your firstborn on it
    EL> in fine print.

Well, I dunno about eulas and such and indeed I don't know what the
login is doing for them but it is their site and their content.  Shame
on them though for not answering to e-mail.

[...]
    EL> It's not a DoS, as the bandwidth requirements are nil.

It is, but not from the bandwidth point of view, you might fill up their
database if you get the script to run in tight loop and/or you get
multiple people to run it.  Depending on how they are set-up you might
also eat up their CPU so regular users cannot login.

[...]
    EL> Unless you can specify what is bothering you about
    EL> enduser-driven poisoning a database specifically, I don't see
    EL> how you have a point.

Oh ok, I was pigeon-holing your script with Don's Lynx loop for google
but I can discern the principle on which I do that.  The moment you
script it, in my view,  it is no longer end-user driven.  There is a
difference in my mind between signing up as
"you-will-get-no-info-from-me-stupid-assholes" manually and having a
script doing it for you over and over.  It is a cheap trick that is
tough to control when done by multiple people on fast machines with
fast connections, and it unecessarily makes life hard for people who
don't really owe random gatherings of people on the net anything.

The DoS aspect aside, I suspect this is a 'cultural' difference.  I
used to dutifully provide my e-mail address to anonymous ftp sites in
the pre-www days also even though I knew a@ would likely work.  It
seemed an innocuous enough thing for the owners of the site to wish to
know.  At that time, most ftp servers had a banner that'd say "we log
everything, bugger off if this bothers you" and nobody got offended by
that.  Now I realize requiring a login entails more work than entering
a simple e-mail address, but I find it is easy to get around by using
the same login/password for every non critical site.  Since I don't
feel the initial irritation, it is probably hard for me to understand
the reaction.

cheers,

BM