[linux-elitists] IP: NYT: (Microsoft's) High-profile anti-Unix siteruns UNIX (FreeBSD) (fwd)

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Mon Apr 8 07:29:38 PDT 2002

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Bulent Murtezaoglu wrote:

> Have you tried mailing them?  I'd just say lie away if you feel like

Yes, several times. The last ones were largely expletives. Never got a
reply back (not even from the nicer worded ones).

> it and get a 'private' login.  Much easier than scripting it.  I got
> mine in 95 I think or therabouts, still works fine.

The point is to use a common login. I don't have to register for every XY
crap service out there. Next time you'll look NYT is going to offer you an
EULA mentioning your firstborn on it in fine print.

> No I suspect they'll just sink the effort into implementing the noisy
> image solution instead and maybe they'll complain to script runners'
> upstreams about the DOS attempt.  Now, if you could get the digruntled

It's not a DoS, as the bandwidth requirements are nil. It's just poisoning
their database (which can happen on a piece to piece basis. In fact, I
would love to have a script which would autoregister with a number of
sites, so I don't have to).

> NYT web-edition readers to actually show up and picket that might work
> and nobody will make any trouble.

I'm on another continent, so I don't think I'll bother.

> Now that I have had more coffee I decided I dislike such script-backed
> protests (Don had people do something similar for a short while during
> the Scientology/Google thing which also bothered me).  Is there a good
> reason why I should rethink?

Unless you can specify what is bothering you about enduser-driven
poisoning a database specifically, I don't see how you have a point.