[linux-elitists] IP: NYT: (Microsoft's) High-profile anti-Unix siteruns UNIX (FreeBSD) (fwd)

Bulent Murtezaoglu bm@acm.org
Mon Apr 8 07:20:22 PDT 2002

[...]
    EL> Of course they can ask for the info, but it's also my
    EL> privilege to 1) lie on the form

Sure.

    EL> 2) use automation to lie on a
    EL> big scale, making their gatherered information worthless, or
    EL> at least alerting them to the fact that users resent this kind
    EL> of behaviour,

Have you tried mailing them?  I'd just say lie away if you feel like
it and get a 'private' login.  Much easier than scripting it.  I got
mine in 95 I think or therabouts, still works fine.

    EL> and it is relatively difficult to protect
    EL> yourself from that if the polluting script is making the
    EL> rounds.

No I suspect they'll just sink the effort into implementing the noisy
image solution instead and maybe they'll complain to script runners'
upstreams about the DOS attempt.  Now, if you could get the digruntled
NYT web-edition readers to actually show up and picket that might
work and nobody will make any trouble.

Now that I have had more coffee I decided I dislike such script-backed
protests (Don had people do something similar for a short while during
the Scientology/Google thing which also bothered me).  Is there a good
reason why I should rethink?

cheers,

BM