[linux-elitists] [jays@panix.com: [free-sklyarov] W3C ridiculous new policy on patents (fwd)]

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sun Sep 30 15:02:37 PDT 2001

on Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 02:34:35PM -0700, Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org) wrote:
> begin Karsten M. Self quotation of Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 01:03:29AM -0700:
>
> > W3C is going RAND from RF -- "Reasonable and non-discriminatory" (e.g.:
> > for fee) from royalty-free patent licensing.
>
> No.  They're not.
>
> http://www.w3.org/2001/08/16-PP-FAQ#[4-3]
>
> Each working group can choose one of two licensing modes: Royalty-Free (RF)
> or "Reasonable and non-discriminatory" (RAND).
>
> Reasonable and non-discriminatory is neither; it's not reasonable to
> pay someone money for being the first company to patent an obvious
> or previously used idea, and patent royalty deals discriminate
> against small or loosely organized companies and organizations.
>
> In practice, this will mean that all working groups that want
> substantial free software participation or contributions will have
> to choose RF.
>
> This policy is much better than I expected from W3C, considering how
> much of a wuss Tim Berners-Lee is where patents are concerned.
> http://zgp.org/linux-elitists/20001215081736.B9206@zgp.org.html

...so...you're happy with this?

I'll post my own response to W3C shortly (watering down the flames as we
speak).  There are some very serious procedural issues with how this
standard was proposed and advertised (as in:  not at all).

Searches of Google, Slashdot, LWN, The Register, and news.cnet.com all
turn up blanks on this puppy.  My theory:  someone wants to undermine
W3C as an effective standards organization.

Anyone got a candidate list for who they'd put on a blue-ribbon
committee to examin W3C's policies and procedures in drafting standards?

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org