[linux-elitists] [jays@panix.com: [free-sklyarov] W3C ridiculous new policy on patents (fwd)]

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Sat Sep 29 14:34:35 PDT 2001

begin Karsten M. Self quotation of Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 01:03:29AM -0700:

> W3C is going RAND from RF -- "Reasonable and non-discriminatory" (e.g.:
> for fee) from royalty-free patent licensing.

No.  They're not.

http://www.w3.org/2001/08/16-PP-FAQ#[4-3]

Each working group can choose one of two licensing modes: Royalty-Free (RF)
or "Reasonable and non-discriminatory" (RAND).

Reasonable and non-discriminatory is neither; it's not reasonable to
pay someone money for being the first company to patent an obvious
or previously used idea, and patent royalty deals discriminate
against small or loosely organized companies and organizations.

In practice, this will mean that all working groups that want
substantial free software participation or contributions will have
to choose RF.

This policy is much better than I expected from W3C, considering how
much of a wuss Tim Berners-Lee is where patents are concerned.
http://zgp.org/linux-elitists/20001215081736.B9206@zgp.org.html

--
Don Marti      What do we want?  Free Dmitry!  When do we want it?  Now!
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                      Free Dmitry: http://eff.org/