[linux-elitists] "Verisign's DNS"...

Dan York dyork@e-smith.com
Tue Sep 25 06:53:50 PDT 2001

For many years I have been receiving a pseudo-daily news briefing
called "EduPage" and one called "NewsScan" (by two of the editors
that left EduPage).  Today, I saw this one note that I just had to
forward to this list.  Buried in a paragraph about VeriSign acquiring
Illuminet was this gem:

  "Our network acts much like VeriSign's DNS system, to help
  setup and routing over the voice network," says Illuminet CEO Roger Moore.

Just because VeriSign owns NSI does *not* mean it is "VeriSign's DNS system".
Sheesh...

Dan

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: NewsScan Daily, 24 September 2001 ("Above The Fold")
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 08:50:01 -0700
From: "NewsScan" <newsscan@newsscan.com>
To: "Multiple recipients of list newsscan <newsscan@newsscan.com>" <dyork@lodestar2.com>

NewsScan Daily, 24 September 2001 ("Above The Fold")

<snip>

VERISIGN TO ACQUIRE ILLUMINET
VeriSign is acquiring network services firm Illuminet Holdings in an
all-stock deal worth about $1.2 billion. The merger will enable VeriSign to
offer services that combine voice and IP networks, such as secure short
messaging and a service called Global Voice Registry, which enables calls
to reach a business simply by speaking its name. Illuminet's technology is
used in routing phone calls among major wireless and fixed-line telecom
carriers, and enables services such as caller ID and local number
portability. "Our network acts much like VeriSign's DNS system, to help
setup and routing over the voice network," says Illuminet CEO Roger Moore.
(InfoWorld 24 Sep 2001)
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/09/24/010924hnveriillup.xml

<snip>

SUBSCRIPTION INFO: To subscribe or unsubscribe to the text, html, or
handheld versions of NewsScan Daily, send the appropriate subscribe or
unsubscribe messages (i.e., with the word 'subscribe' or 'unsubscribe' in
the subject line) to the addresses shown below:
       Text version: Send message to NewsScan@NewsScan.com
       Html version: Send mail to NewsScan-html@NewsScan.com
       NewsScan-To-Go: http://www.newsscan.com/handheld/current.html

TELL YOUR FRIENDS ABOUT NEWSSCAN DAILY! Send them our little frog:
http://www.newsscan.com/newsscan/newscup.html

----- End forwarded message -----
--
Dan York, Director of Training        dyork@e-smith.com
Ph: +1-613-751-4401 Cell: +1-613-263-4312 Fax: +1-613-564-7739