[linux-elitists] CNET: Another worm, more patches

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sat Sep 22 18:17:38 PDT 2001

on Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 11:06:18AM +1000, Jeff Waugh (jdub@perkypants.org) wrote:
> <quote who="Justin F. Knotzke">
>
> > We aren't talking about a few omissions of the press. This is consistent
> > behaviour and there has to be some sort of logical explanation.  Microsoft
> > only accounts for a certain percentage of ad revenue. I can't see how
> > these omissions can be accounted for by advertising.
>
> Oh my god, it must be a conspiracy!
>
> Have you considered that these press outlets may find it troublesome
> to report these details in full? Have you considered that the
> reporters working on these stories understand these details
> themselves?

They *can* be responsive to input and feedback.

I posted the following to NPR, the SJ Mercury News, SF Chronicle, New
York Times, The Washington Post, The Register, GNU/Linux Journal, and
several independent journalists:

    Another day, another Microsoft vulnerability.

    'nimba' is *not* an Internet worm of general applicability, it's
    specific to Microsoft and Microsoft products.  In a time at which
    security on all fronts is paramount, the fact that Microsoft and its
    products represent a threat to national security must be emphasized.

    The issue of operator liability for security breaches must also be
    addressed.  This raises a number of other troubling questions,
    including personal operation of servers (web/mail) on dialup/ISP
    connections, I don't have simple solution.

    Peace.

Several of these outlets were subsequently specific in their reporting
of this as a Microsoft, not general Internet, vulnerability.  Several
had already noted this.

One problem with Yahoo! news is that the Reuters newsfeed doesn't
generaly provide a feedback address, nor does Yahoo have a "letters to
the editor" equivalent (though there *is* story feedback section).

Reuters's own website is crappily enough designed that I can't browse it
with Galeon (anyone got a fix:  header munging through Galeon or
Junkbuster?).  If someone has a news or feedback address at Reuters,
I'll add it to my rapid response list.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org