[linux-elitists] CNET: Another worm, more patches

Justin F. Knotzke shampoo@cam.org
Sat Sep 22 17:54:49 PDT 2001

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 11:21:21AM -0400, Artie Di wrote:
> Relevant text from Yahoo! News/Reuters story.  Taken from
> http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010921/tc/tech_nimda_dc_1.html

	I had a rather interesting conversation (well ok it was an argument)
with the 'sysadmin' of where I work who claimed that the worms and virus
that attack MS based systems happen because the "hackers who have
nothing better to do just want to bring Microsoft down because they are
Number 1" (I paraphrase).

	This is the sysadmin of a 300+ employee sized company that covers
Canada the US and Europe.

	So really, the fact that CNET et al. don't mention that this worm
only attacks directly MS based systems, doesn't surprise me. The
argument taken here is that we need to change the habits of "people with
nothing better to do" and people who "just want to destroy things" and
not focus on Microsoft as needing any change.

	The question is, is CNET performing some sort of institutional
function by not reporting this fact? Do you think it's intentional or
do they simply lack the understanding? Or do you think it's so deeply
embedded in so many people that MS can do no wrong and the real change
needs to happen with the people who make these worms and not the company
to which they consistently attack?

	We aren't talking about a few omissions of the press. This is
consistent behaviour and there has to be some sort of logical
explanation. Microsoft only accounts for a certain percentage of ad
revenue. I can't see how these omissions can be accounted for by
advertising.

	Justin.

--
Justin F. Knotzke