[linux-elitists] [declan@well.com: Sen. Judd Gregg is drafting anti-encryption legislation]

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Fri Sep 21 20:22:37 PDT 2001

begin  Karsten M. Self quotation of Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 07:42:08PM -0700:

> Take some of your idle time and write letters this weekend.  Paper
> letters.

Don't worry, you don't need to fire up that slow-ass word processor
and tweak around with spacing and crap.  True elitists know that
LaTeX makes paper letters almost as easy as email.  Example follows.
A macro to insert the correct politician's name, address and
salutation based on the originating Zip Code is left as an exercise
for the reader.

Remember that all $ must be escaped, since they are not bribes but
"campaign contributions."

(If you lack a printer and are willing to pick up your printed
letters in Mountain View, California, send me dvi or PostScript
and I'll feed them to the hungry LaserWriter.)

This is an example of the nice-looking letters you can get with a
few lines of simple markup:
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/images/hollings-letter.png

And this is all you need to do to get it:

\documentstyle[12pt]{letter}

\address{900 High School Way\\Mountain View, CA 94041 USA}
\signature{Donald B. Marti Jr.\\American}

\begin{document}
\begin{letter}{The Hon. Ernest "Fritz" Hollings\\
125 Russell Senate Office Building\\
Washington, DC 20510}

\opening{Dear Senator Hollings:}

Mail text here.

\closing{Sincerely,}
\end{letter}
\end{document}

(I swear, if the inventor of the word processor had invented
the steamboat, it would be a galley with manually operated steam
cylinders attached to the oars.)

--
Don Marti      What do we want?  Free Dmitry!  When do we want it?  Now!
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                      Free Dmitry: http://eff.org/