[linux-elitists] Looking for good Linux (embedded) hardware

Brenno J.S.A.A.F. de Winter brenno@dewinter.com
Thu Sep 20 23:42:03 PDT 2001

Dear all,

With the power of Embedded Linux and some other Linux specific hardware
capabilities in mind I'm looking for a box with the following charactaristics:
* Small box or 19" rack.
* Processor
* Memory
* 2 networkcards

My plan would be to find a solution where no harddisk is needed, but a way of
writing the software to a PROM or so (if at all possible also remotely
updateable). Does anyone now if such a devices do really exist.

My expectations are the following:
* Simple box that one can easily place in a network
* Relatively low-cost
* Low maintenance (no harddisk that can crash or be full)
* Rapid bootup
* Incredibly stable
* Must have sufficient power to do routing/VPN-like and run possibly a small
webserver.

If you have any other ideas to reach such a solution that would be greatly
appreciated.

--
make dep install modules modules_install,

Brenno J.S.A.A.F. de Winter
De Winter Information Solutions.