[linux-elitists] VCS with mergable trees?

Sam Phillips sam@dasbistro.com
Wed Sep 19 13:26:00 PDT 2001

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 03:37:51PM -0400, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> Seriously, you probably want to work on a branch. This way, your
> copy which is checked out on the laptop is not getting out-of-date
> WRT the code in the repository. When you do a "cvs up", you'll get
> no new updates, and when you're back for a while you can do the
> merge to the development mainline, or whatever is appropriate.

That was my initial thought too.  But I'm really dealing with 2
repositories that need to have their change information merged together.
So if someone works on the server repository and then I make changes to
the laptop repository there needs to be some way of merging the
revisions back into the server's copy.

Separate branches help, since then I won't have version numbering
conflicts, and have less conflicts that I need to merge together.  But
they don't solve the whole problem.

I'm currently visiting the docs and source for rcs, cvs (aiee!), and
hopefully I can construct something that will merge in changes from the
laptop branch into the server's repository, and my head won't explode.

--
Sam Phillips <sam@dasbistro.com>                http://www.dasbistro.com
Reno                                                              Nevada