[linux-elitists] VCS with mergable trees?

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Wed Sep 19 12:37:51 PDT 2001

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 10:40:29AM -0700, Sam Phillips wrote:

> >     SP> I currently have a situation where I have a CVS repository on
> >     SP> a work machine, and mirror of the repository on my laptop.  I
> >     SP> want to be able to do work on my laptop and be able to take
> >     SP> the laptop repository and merge it with the work repository.
> >
> > I think you're gonna want to look at cvsup.
> >

> I have now, and it appears to be a 800 pound gorilla where I only need a
> mandrill.

You can go to emandrill.com and buy one, as long as you have a passport
account.

> I think I may just pound my head in with a hammer instead now.

Hammer-based head-pounding is not advised by the Surgeon General.

Seriously, you probably want to work on a branch. This way, your
copy which is checked out on the laptop is not getting out-of-date
WRT the code in the repository. When you do a "cvs up", you'll get
no new updates, and when you're back for a while you can do the
merge to the development mainline, or whatever is appropriate.

--
Aaron Sherman		My country's flag is not a logo
ajs@ajs.com		finger ajskey@b5.ajs.com for GPG info. Fingerprint: