[linux-elitists] nimda - cheese or notify script?

Wayne Earl wayne@qconcepts.net
Wed Sep 19 00:04:56 PDT 2001

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 11:51:01PM -0700 or therabouts, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> apt-get installed gopherd

Pretty unhelpful for most Linux users, who don't currently use Debian
(no flame value is associated with that statement; linux elitists use the
distro that sucks less for themselves. Flames regarding this issue piped
to /dev/null)

Compiling from source is an adventure as well. What crap code that is.

> To be honest, after reading the gopherd code I'm less optimistic about
> it coming back. The code of UMN gopherd is awful. There are
> potentially hundreds of buffer overflows. And the '.\r\n' sequence
> (IIRC) terminates a transfer. Thus files need escaping, and sendfile()
> can not be used.

The code looks like it hasn't been updated in years. Better to
reimpliment a gopher server from the ground up. Maybe I'll whip
something up in perl or python.

--
Wayne Earl <wayne@qconcepts.net>
gpg public key: http://www.qconcepts.net/key.txt