[linux-elitists] nimda - cheese or notify script?

Aaron Lehmann aaronl@vitelus.com
Tue Sep 18 23:51:01 PDT 2001

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 11:36:30PM -0700, Wayne Earl wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 11:33:34PM -0700 or therabouts, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> > I was wondering if we should just give up on the web since it's been
> > taken over by robotic Microsoft machines and just revert back to
> > gopher.
>
> Interesting idea (better than the create-your-own-tld ideas that used to go
> around). Anyone have any pointers to a gopher server?

apt-get installed gopherd

I have CVS commit access but can't claim to have done anything useful
with it.

Also see
gopher://gopher.quux.org:70/00/Software/Gopher/whygopher/gopher-manifesto.txt

To be honest, after reading the gopherd code I'm less optimistic about
it coming back. The code of UMN gopherd is awful. There are
potentially hundreds of buffer overflows. And the '.\r\n' sequence
(IIRC) terminates a transfer. Thus files need escaping, and sendfile()
can not be used.