[linux-elitists] ClearChannel radio censorship

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Tue Sep 18 14:56:00 PDT 2001

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 01:56:37PM -0700, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> Yes, yes, I know this is from Slashdot. Bear with me.
>
> I listen to the radio only when in a vehicle. I believe several of the
> stations are owned by ClearChannel. Time to pull that
> minijack->magtape hack out of the basement. The banned list is simply
> outrageous.
>
> http://www.fuckedcompany.com/extras/clearchannel_email.cfm

[...]
> Truly the most offensive aspect of this censorship is that "War" and
> "Imagine" are both banned. They are protest songs calling for peace.

Ok, first off "banned" is a bad word, here.

Let's keep in mind that this was an internal effort on the part of
this radio network to adjust it's play list according to current
events. THIS IS NOT A RARE OCCURANCE.

When you've just heard that we're going to war, and a song comes on
saying "it's the end of the world as we know it", it's great irony
but it also makes a good percentage of the listeners change the
channel!

These radio stations are in business to make money from ads, not provide
dramatic irony.

Now, if it was AGAINST THE LAW to play these songs or the US GOVERNMENT
were telling people what not to play, I'd be very concerned. But,
I expect companies to tell their franchises to hang flags, not
play songs that they consider to be in questionable taste and to
tell their telemarketers to answer the phone, "hello, I'd like to
offer my support and condolances to all of the famillies who
have lost loved ones in this tragedy oh and by the way would you
like to have a new first bank of annoying phone calls credit card
with the one-time low APR of 180%?"

Yep, that's what I love about capitolism. We'll pay lip-service to
ANYTHING, as long as it boosts sales! ;-)

--
Aaron Sherman
ajs@ajs.com		finger ajskey@b5.ajs.com for GPG info. Fingerprint: